Skip to main content

Day 2: The Research begins

Today was another warm autumn day, a pleasure to walk to work in. I arrived at 9.30 and started looking through the box of books I ordered through the IJB catalogue before I arrived. It is very difficult searching for books which are multilingual as this is not a tag in the search criteria. The books found were a mixture of quite a few bilingual Japanese/English books, and a selection of books featuring English and a minority language such as Cree, Spanish, Inuktituk and Greenlandic. There were also three picturebooks featuring characters discussing issues relating to being bilingual, for example in Yoko Writes her Name (Rosemary Wells, 2008),  Yoko can write her name in Japanese and English. Her classmates respond with jealousy and in the process draw on several common prejudices around bilingualism.

The search also did  manage to identify 5 picturebooks with between 3 and 5 languages in them, and I spent most of the day really enjoying analysing the linguistic landscape of the first three of these books. What languages are featured on the cover of the book? In what order? What fonts are used? And on the inside, is the translator identfied? Which langauge comes first? And then I started searching for the background of the sociolinguistic contexts for the countrries where each book was published. Luckily the five books come from 5 different countries: Luxembourg, Norway, Britain, South Africa, Canada, and Austria. This allows me to consider some very different linguistic settings and how this may have affected the languages chosen and the prominence given to each. I didn’t know much about the language situation in Luxembourg until today, but did you know the national language of Luxembourg is Luxembourgish, a Western Germanic Indo-European language, and that the biggest community language outside French, Luxembourgish and German is Portuguese? I was more familiar with the situation in South Africa, but there were still some surprises: There are over 11 million speakers of Zulu, and 8 million speakers of Xhosa.

I am starting to see some possibilities for how my research may proceed, and this includes firstly spending time focussing on the multilingual books I have found already, and then finding any others that are in the collection. I have ideas for two other specific areas which will fit under the project I am funded for. I really enjoy allowing the details of my research to unfold in this way.


Today was a bring-your-own lunch day, and I had mine under a lovely old tree with Marie from Norway who is looking at children’s atlases, and Jose from Spain who is looking at how scientists are portrayed in children’s picturebooks. Meeting these other researchers is very much part of the experience.

Comments

  1. Sounds fabulous Nicola. I look forward to reading future posts. En route from Siena to Praha today and overnight in a sleeper carriage. Arrividerchi

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 11: The Triplets and the Dragon of the Apple Tree

I took a train to Salzburg in the weekend and went on a hop-on-hop-off bus around the city where I saw several locations where the Sound of Music was filmed. We even had a bit of sun. And on Sunday I went into Munich City Museum which was very interesting, including a full floor of puppets. The weather is getting quite cold now, but the buildings are all very warmly heated. Today I’ve been finishing off the pile of 23 multilingual picturebooks I’ve found so far at the International Jugendbibliothek. This has included what is essentially a vocabulary book with a word a page in thirteen (yes 13) languages: English, Korean, French, Arabic, Vietnamese, Japanese, Portuguese, Lao, Spanish, Chinese, Tagalog, Cambodian, and Navajo. This book was published in the United States, and the author, Mary Feder, explicitly states it is a ‘playful introduction to languages’. English is privileged in space, size and order throughout the book. Other languages have been chosen to represent the multi

Day 1 at Schloss Blutenberg

After the long (but comfortable- I can recommend Qatar Airways) flight here, today has seemed rather surreal. I arrived at my accommodation by about 3pm yesterday (Sunday) after a very straightforward train ride and then short taxi drive from Munich Airport. It was a stunning and warm autumn day, and the place I am staying at is right beside a very fast flowing little river called the Wurm (with an umlaut over the ‘u’). There are lots of established autumn coloured trees and many people from the very young to the very old out on the bike path beside the river. My landlady is currently out of the country, but another of her tenants met me and gave me some lunch and dinner as no shops are open on a Sunday in this part of town. I stayed awake as long as I could before falling into a heavy sleep around 8pm, and then woke at a not too indecent hour today. I got up quite early and popped into a local bakery and vege shop to stock up on some food, and then headed into Schloss Blutenberg

Day 17: Attitudes to language

A few more books have come up from the stacks, and I have enjoyed a day back analysing some picturebooks, this time relating to attitudes to language. One I’d like to share with you is Yoko Writes her Name (Wells, 2008), an anthropomorphic tale of a kitten at kindergarten called Yoko who can write her name and numbers in Japanese. Some of the children in the class make fun of here and tell her she will not graduate from kindergarten, but the teacher, Mrs. Jenkins, decides that the class will have Japanese as a second language, and Yoko helps her classmates learn to write their names in Japanese Katakana script. This story reflects many different attitudes towards bilingualism, and presents many opportunities for children to start to learn to think about what characters in the story may be feeling. At the start of the story Yoko’s mum says she is proud of Yoko for writing her name. The text states “Yoko could write her name perfectly”, and the illustrations show she is writing